The brake system is at the top of the list when it comes to vehicle safety and is one feature that you always want in top working condition. Brakes are a regular wear item on vehicles and it is recommended that you have your brakes checked regularly. Here at Auto Correct Car Care we check over our customers brakes at each 5K service.
There are some key warning signs that you should be aware of that indicate your brakes need maintenance.
1. Strange Noises: Hearing screeching, grinding or clicking noises when applying the brakes. Ignoring squealing brakes is not only unsafe but it can lead to more costly repairs
2. Pulling: vehicle pulls to one side while braking.
3. Brake Pedal does not feel normal: If your brakes are not as responsive as they should be or if the pedal “sinks” toward the floor, this could be an indication of a leak in the braking system.
4. Grabbing: brakes grab at the slightest touch to the pedal.
5. Vibration: brake pedal vibrates or pulses. This could be an indication that the rotors are warped. warped rotors occur when severe braking happens for long periods of time. They can happen after towing a heavy load or after traveling through the mountains as well as extreme stop and go traffic.
6. Indicator Light: If your brake light is illuminated on your vehicle’s dashboard.
7. Strange Puddle of Fluid under the car: If you see an amber colored fluid under the car or on your garage there could be brake fluid leaking.
Driving habits and road conditions can play a part in how long your brakes can last.